Monday, May 23, 2011

Retro Yarn?

During my last trip to Monterrey, Mexico, I didn't do as much shopping as I wished. Part of it because the city has became, sadly, difficult to transit and dangerous. 

From the list of things I wanted to do while I was there, there were a few very important ones I couldn't do, such as eating corn (that Mexican corn I don't find in the US). 

What I luckily did was to see a bunch of old friends, current friends and I made some new friends (specially this, it felt awesome. In a moment when society seems like falling apart, there's an urge to make friends among young people).

One of the things on my list that I was glad to check was going yarn shopping. There's a very popular yarn that's being sold like food, everywhere in Mexico. It has been this popular since the 1930s. It's very affordable and it comes in a very wide variety of colors, but only a few weights. I bought this yarn myself when I learned to loom-knit. I didn't really ever like it that much because it seemed old fashioned (it's been produced the same way for decades!), but if there's something I've learned in any creative project is, it doesn't matter what it is, everything can be used and if used in the right way, you will always get the right results. 

So I call it Retro Yarn. I got 20 bags of 50gm each in 10 colors (2 bags for each color). I went wild and I got all kinds of colors, from earthy to party. I made sure I could match all of them in a contrasting way and I'm happy I did. I have now a huge plastic box full of these babies and I don't know if I'll ever run out.

Here are some of the few projects I've been using my Mexican Retro Yarn for:

- This improvised Granny Square Coin Purse in DodgerBlue and DarkRed.


- This in-the-process Retro Waves bag (another baby from the Audio Waves Family)


- More Squares for my Granny Wall.


And definitely more projects on the way. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment